All-day sitting can lead to tightness in your glute muscles, which is not very comfortable. This issue can lead to serious conditions such as IT band issue which can lead to lower back pain and knee injuries. So, not doing anything at all can cause serious back pain.
The great news is that you can find relief with these glute stretches that can open tight hips and release tension.
So, exercising can keep the doctor away that’s why you should never stop doing them.
1. Seated Spinal Twist
Image Credits: Seated Spinal Twist
– Begin seated on your mat with your legs extended straight out in front of you.
– Bend your right knee and place your right heel as close to your left sit-bone as you can.
– Reach your right arm behind you, and plant your palm or fingertips on the floor. Place your left hand or elbow on your right knee or thigh, and gently pull your knee to the left until you feel the stretch in your glutes.
– Hold for 30 seconds, then release and straighten your legs again. Repeat on left side.
2. Modified Pigeon
Image Credits: Modified Pigeon
– Kneel on your mat, then bring your right leg behind you. Lean your torso forward, placing your forearms on the mat. Open your left knee outward to the left; your left ankle might need to slide forward so your pelvis can lower toward the floor.
– Bend your elbows to deepen your stretch.
– Hold for one minute, then switch legs.
– For a deeper stretch, try the full version of yoga’s Pigeon pose.
3. Seated Leg Cradle
Image Credits: Seated Leg Cradle
– Sit on your mat cross-legged or with your feet touching each other. Lift up your left leg and hook your calf over your left arm. Grab onto your feet with your hands for support.
– Slowly lift up your left leg until you feel a stretch in your glutes and hips. You can gently rock your leg from side to side to move the stretch to different parts of the muscle.
– Hold for 30 seconds, then switch legs.
4. Supine Cow Stretch
Image Credits: Supine Cow Stretch
– On your mat, lie on your back and cross your right knee over your left knee. Hug both knees toward your chest, making sure you keep a neutral back and neck.
– If you don’t feel a stretch, then work your hands down your legs, aiming for your ankles. Make sure you keep your head down.
– Hold here for 30 seconds to one minute, then uncross and repeat with your left knee over your right.
Image Credits: Dailyburn